On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, maccrawj wrote:

all the popped caps were a known crap hu-flung-dung brand.

At my company we've been doing manual repairs quite successfully on electronics with bad caps recently (on motherboards at least). It has saved us a lot of money in warranty repairs on some systems we sold with 3 year warranties without realizing that the manufacture warranty was only 1 year. About 10 of those systems have had bad caps at about 18 months of life, and I am sure that the rest just havn't shown their age yet.

With a little practice on some old motherboards you can likely get to the point with soldering where it is worthwhile to fix these types of issues.

Christopher Fisk
--
Leela: Hey, you know what might be a hoot?
Professor: No. Why would I know that?

believed to be clean.