Rick Glazier

From: "Christopher Fisk"
At my company we've been doing manual repairs quite successfully on electronics with bad caps recently (on motherboards at least). It has saved us a lot of money in warranty repairs on some systems we sold with 3 year warranties without realizing that the manufacture warranty was only 1 year. About 10 of those systems have had bad caps at about 18 months of life, and I am sure that the rest just havn't shown their age yet.

With a little practice on some old motherboards you can likely get to the point with soldering where it is worthwhile to fix these types of issues.