* Zach White <zwhite-hates-softw...@darkstar.frop.org> [2008-07-05 17:15]:
> A common behavior that this mechanism breaks is to copy a piece
> of text (say, from a terminal window) and go over to a text
> input box (say, the google search box in firefox) to paste it.
> If I planned to use the "highlight and middle click strategy" I
> now have a problem; how to get rid of the text that's already
> in the search box.

You middleclick at the end of the text that's already there, then
left-click-and-drag-upwards to select from that point to the
start of the box, backspace.

> X11's selection buffer breaks a whole lot stuff if you, you
> know, actually use it and don't treat it like the vestigal
> feature it is.

It would be much nicer if ^C/^V/^X and the mouse gestures both
used the same clipboard, and that clipboard had multiple slots,
instead of this idiotic selection vs clipboard vs cut buffers
(remember those?) business, yes.

Regards,