Zach White <zwhite-hates-softw...@darkstar.frop.org> wrote at 08:06 on
2008-07-05:

> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Joshua Juran <jju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's worse than that. X11's selection buffer breaks a whole lot stuff
> if you, you know, actually use it and don't treat it like the vestigal
> feature it is.
>
> A common behavior that this mechanism breaks is to copy a piece of
> text (say, from a terminal window) and go over to a text input box
> (say, the google search box in firefox) to paste it. If I planned to
> use the "highlight and middle click strategy" I now have a problem;
> how to get rid of the text that's already in the search box.

I now have ^k + backspace pretty well embedded in muscle memory for this
very purpose - if you select the text by ^k instead of using the mouse
Firefox doesn't clobber the X clipboard (unless and until a Firefox
developer decides to change this, which development I await with the
same sort of undelighted certainty as my own death).

As others have mentioned, the real hate here is the mental turmoil
brought on by trying to guess which of the X clipboard and the ^c/^x
clipboard a given paste action is going to use.

Bonus hardware hate for laptop manufacturers who refuse to give one a
full complement of buttons. The Asus Eee, which actually ships with
Linux and X, is a particularly egregious offender here.