From: "E. Olsen" <ceo.eol...@gmail.com>
<hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:25:23 PM
Subject: Re: [hlds] Policy of Truth Still in effect? Fast Respawn without
tags OK?

The point is - that's impossible to do fairly. We DO run that plugin, but on
the maps where it is disabled (i.e. "sm_respawn_time_enabled "0") that plugin
is technically still RUNNING, but since fast respawn is disabled, the sv_tag is
not set.

See my point - you can't just poll a bunch of servers running a plugin and ban
them outright, as the plugin may be running but disabled for that particular
map (which would therefore not require the "respawntimes" tag to be set).

Actually, this whole argument would be a moot point if Valve could just
implement settings in the engine itself that allows us the same functionality
of the fast respawn plugins, and automatically sets the proper tag if/when they
are modified (I think this would be the optimal solution). That way - server
operators that want/need fast respawn times on certain maps/servers could
transition away from using plugins all together, and Valve could implement
allow a couple of months for server operators to change their servers over to
the new system, after which fast respawn plugins could be outlawed all together
;-)