What's the reason for independent server admins to even run servers in the
first place? Everyone has their reasons whether it be money, to provide players
a place to play, or it's their hobby. Ask yourself why (assuming you run
servers yourself.) The fact of the matter is, having Valve run servers
themselves defeats the purpose of having server admins run servers themselves.
I'll throw this in there as well. Not everyone likes how Valve runs their
servers. Running your own server gives you the freedom to run the game how you
want it. You choose the map cycle, you choose how it's administrated, you
choose whether if there is a ranking system or not, etc.