Hi Thomas,

On September 29, 2010 11:53:48 am T. Modes wrote:
> Hi Yuv,
>
> > I have an issue with your "fixes" to the second FAQ [1], Thomas.
>
> I reverted the changes.

I have a different definition for "revert".  I would say you "fixed", and now
we have two separate versions.  you just renamed yours into another question.
But we have an inconsistency.  How many categories of enblend-enfuse are
there?

> > First of all, you have made it completely Windows-centric.  The choices
> > exist also for other platform.  For example the most current build for
> > Debian / Ubuntu has enblend-mp and enfuse-mp (for the OpenMP support).
>
> But this was not in the FAQ. It stated only that there are 4 variants
> and which advantage/disadvantage each have.

Indeed, that FAQ was a generic, simplified description of the relevant build
options.  It makes sense to put additional, platform-specific information in
separate, related questions, as you did.  good start.

But I must criticize your version.  It assumes that nobody built a version
without GPU support.  You can control your builds; and you can control what
goes on the official website.  But people download enblend-enfuse builds from
all sorts of places and so you can't assume that all builder exercise the care
that you do in selecting what they build and distribute.

> But it does not say how to
> identify a specific version or that the OpenMP version is called
> enblend_mp. Or if enblend or enblend_mp is build with GPU support.

because I don't know.  If somebody know, they can add the information.
Andreas?

we have to be careful with assumptions.  The advantage of Debian/Ubuntu is
that there is an official repository, so if somebody types `sudo apt-get
install enblend` I can reasonably assume that he received the packages built
by Andreas.  But even on Ubuntu, somebody can download a .deb file from a
third party site and then I can no longer assume names nor features.  The
default enblend-enfuse build will call those binaries enblend and enfuse, no
matter what features are selected at build time.

the right way to address this tricky situation in your FAQ is to state that
"if you downloaded a binary *from the official site*" then there are only
those three builds/categories.

> But
> this are the informations a newbie would expect/need to come to a
> decision, which version is the right for him.

Disagree.  If the FAQ was for a newbie, I would write it this way:

Q: wich version of enfuse-enblend is the right one for a Windows newbie?

A: download an official version from the enblend website (put a link).  there
are three versions available:
1. if you have a modern multi-core CPU, _openMP is for you
2. if you have an old CPU that does not support SSE2, _NOSSE is for you
3. if blending fails and you are using large images, try the standard/default
version.

If you downloaded your enblend version from another source, you can find out
which features it supports with `enblend -v -V`.

(1) "Extra feature: OpenMP: yes" then it is the OpenMP version
(2), **I don't even know how to identify a NOSSE version
(3) "Extra feature: image cache: yes" then it may be the normal version,
however the normal version could also be compiled without image cache
(4) another interesting piece of information to look for is "Extra feature:
GPU acceleration: yes" - official builds all have this feature enabled, but it
is possible that the version you downloaded is not GPU enabled.  To use the
GPU when stitching, pass the option --gpu

see, there are four big categories with variations, not just three, even if it
makes sense to offer only three for download.

> > Second, you made the assumption that everybody build always with GPU.
> >  Maybe that's how you built your binaries, which I understand are on the
> > SF download page.  But --enable-gpu-support=CHECK/yes/no ist still a
> > build-time option and so the category with/without GPU support is a
> > relevant one.
>
> You are only partially correct. Even if enblend is build with gpu
> support, the gpu is not used by default for blending images. So in the
> default calling (enblend -o output input1 input2 ...) an enblend
> without and with gpu support behave the same. You need to specify the -
> g switch to use the gpu.

no, you are off-topic.  the topic was "which versions of enblend are there",
not "how do I use them".  that said, it makes sense to make the user aware
that they need to pass the --gpu switch (-g is a gimp related option), so I
updated the FAQ.

now please solve the inconsistency/confusion and don't mention that there are
three categories of enblend, but that the official site offers three specific
versions for download.

Yuv