If a company has 100 programmers and they cost an average of $50 an hour, and
they use a tool like SimpList or IPT to improve their productivity by 10%, they
could get rid of 10 programmers or do 10% more work with the same number of
programmers. Either way, that's a very REAL cost saving of ONE MILLION DOLLARS
A YEAR. And if a company has 200 programmers they'd have a REAL cost saving of
two million dollars a year (and so on).

Of course they'd have to deduct the cost of licensing the software ($8,000 for
SimpList or ? for IPT), but it's still an ENORMOUS annual cost saving. And it's
a very REAL cost saving; i.e. one that directly affects the bottom line. On top
of that there's all the additional cost savings such as reduced training,
reduced CPU, reduced storage, reduced printing, beating competitors to market,
and much more (which by itself more than justifies the cost of the tool).

The fact that some PHB's can't comprehend this simple math is astonishing.
Maybe they could 'save' even more money by getting rid of ISPF and telling all
the programmers to use raw TSO?   ;-)

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!

http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html