Hi all,
Thanks for all the great feedback!  This has been a good conversation to follow
the past couple of days. We do appreciate it!

From the conversation, I see those here are on the "minimum  installation path"
that want to:
1.  Use an existing prior configuration to save time when installing a new z/OS
release. With *absolute minimum* manual renaming or data sets or volume name
changes.
2.  Use an existing master catalog
3.  Mostly indirectly catalog
4.  Use "non-IPLable" data set names, so that existing deployment tools can be
used.
5.  Run the minimum amount of jobs.  So that they can immediately lay down
installed target, dlibs, and SMP/E data sets (and reluctantly, have to take
some CPAC data sets) *only*, and move on by themselves.
6.  Want to be able to see all the JCL before it is run.
(7.  Want to be able to use multi-level aliasing.)

I think I've captured all the *major* points necessary to get a z/OS system
laid down in a couple of  hours, with multi-level aliasing perhaps not being
something used by all the contributers.  I do understand there are some other
niceties, but I generally think I've got the list above what was discussed to
pull down an order and get it on DASD quickly.

For doing the installation path above, z/OSMF *does* have that functionality
today - except for the multi-level aliases. I'm not certain that multi-level
aliases is critical, but I understand that doing it would be helpful to those
that have used them for a long time, and want to continue with them.  Yes, the
functions may not have been "found" immediately while trying out the new
interface.  Especially when extremely familiar with the CustomPac interface.

What I'd like to understand:  for those that are on that "minimum installation
path" above and have done their first z/OS portable software instance install,
after you've gotten the information here (from Kurt, thanks!!), do you think
you can lay down that z/OS release again using z/OSMF in a couple of hours?
Keep in mind, you'd be using z/OSMF's Model After capability, selecting
"existing master catalog",  data set configuration filtering and mass changes
on data set and volume names, and system symbols with volume association.

-Marna WALLE
z/OS System Install and Upgrade
IBM Poughkeepsie