On Monday, April 19, 2004 12:50 PM [GMT+0800=SGT],
Pankaj Kaushal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Suppose you have a million bucks to spend you might want to put
> that money into developing a security scheme which is not so
> trival to break.

True.  But it is Viksit's money, he decides how to spend it.

> Plus The hacker is doing you a favor by
> breaking your scheme and showing possible flaws in your
> software, If as a company you decide to look at it as a "flaw."

No.  A burgler who breaks into my house does not do me a favour be
showing my locks are bad.

> I think If I pay for something I should be allow to use It on
> a platform of my choice. These laws are like, "I will sell you
> 2 apples (excuse the pun ;) but you can only peel them with
> Dingo(TM) peelers and then eat. I will sue you if you try to
> eat 'em raw or use Pingo peelers to peel them."

If you "pay for something", you get "something".  You cannot decide on
your own what that "something" should be.  The conditions for a
licence HAVE to be met.  That is how we defend the GPL.

When the RTO gives me a licence to drive, I cannot decide I will drive
whatever I like.  A licence is ALWAYS conditional.

--
Sanjeev