On Mar 21, 2006, at 7:48 PM, Thomas Narten wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the last part of the sentence... Does it means that addresses configured via stateless address autoconfiguration are -also- availabe via DHCP?

No, it means that if you don't invoke DHC to get addresses, you won't be getting all the addresses the network is telling you it thinks you need. That is, DHC is providing addresses that are (presumably) not available via stateless addrconf, hence you should use DHC to get them.

More to the point, if you are in a shop that has decided to allocate addresses by DHCP, calculating an address via autoconfiguration is the wrong answer. Not because it is politically correct or otherwise, but because it is the policy of the network, and the IETF doesn't get to decide that.

BTW, there is a lot of host configuration that is communicated via DHCP that isn't the node address and isn't covered by autoconfiguration. Whether or not I agree that address assignment by DHCP is the right answer, not supporting the other is cutting one's nose off to spite one's face.