On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:06:16 -0400
"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IANA already manages things like enterprise-id numbers. And, then
> there's the existing IPv4 address space (how many assigned addresses are
> returned or reclaimed?).
>
> While ULA's could potentially be used by a much larger number of
> entities, they may also not be used except by larger organizations. Do
> you think your average home user or small business would need a ULA?
> Would they know to get one? Would they have the knowledge to manage it?

Any residential user who needs to have non-globally accessible devices
attached to their home network could use them. Think a networked
printer. Or DVD player, or clothes iron, washing machine, TV etc. As I
think it'd be likely that most residential users would have devices
that they don't want "on the Internet", I think ULA addessing domains
are likely to going to be present in every household.

As for getting a ULA, that's a user interface problem, and I think
that's mostly independent of the addressing space or how to generate
the ULA unique value. A simple enough solution might be that the first
time an Internet home gateway is powered up it generates the ULA, then
starts announcing it as a prefix in RAs. This sort of problem has been
solved before on a number of occasions - IPX, Appletalk or zeroconf
could provide example methods.

Regards,
Mark.