From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:05 AM
To: Bill Manning
Cc: Brian Haberman; Ipv
Subject: Re: Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

On 2007-06-08 17:15, Bill Manning wrote:
> presuming this course of action is taken, it raises a much larger
> issue consisting of the IETF creating "property rights" in the
> address space arena.

I decline to take the issue of property rights seriously in a
pseudo-random space of 2**40 natural numbers. I *would* recommend
that the robot be hosted by a trusted organization.

> To date, (AFAIK)  most legal arguments have
> taken the line that IP addresses are NOT property, come from a
> common resource that the RIR's administer for the good of the
> community.   ULA-C  carves out a bit of IP space and in the absence
> of RIR oversight, creates "property"... creating an ambigious
> set of legal issues which will be fought for years.

IMHO it's just not going to happen, in the absence of scarcity.

> I -REALLY- am uncomfortable w/ the IETF, in a mothballed WG,

As others have pointed out, the fact that this WG isn't currently
meeting f2f is irrelevant. Of course, the debate should include
the entire community, which is why this list is open.

> creating this nightmare for the operational community.

Since ULAs aren't routable, I don't see it. If we were talking
about routable PI, it would be a different matter.

    Brian