On Jun 11, 2007, at 07:21, Paul Vixie wrote:

to your last question, i do think that residential users will have small routed networks in the future, rather than a flat neighborhood-wide or even city-wide L2, simply because the broadcast domain for things like Bonjour will be too large otherwise, and the market seems to have embraced "routers" as their preferred security perimeter (vs hosts, bridges, or repeaters.)

I'd like to note for the record that Bonjour is more than just DNS-SD over multicast. It works quite well over unicast with infrastructure content servers by using a few simple extensions to the core protocols, e.g. for handling long-lived queries, etc.

In the unlikely event that metro-L2 came to be feasible for other reasons, there wouldn't be that much of a problem fitting Bonjour into that environment. While Bonjour was developed for zero- configuration networking, it's still perfectly reasonable to use it where in managed networks.

(these are the wages of our sins from not separating routing from identity, and from assuming that the economic principles underlaying IPv4 routing
would still apply in an IPv6 world.)

Here here. This argument seems awfully compelling to me. Given the near ubiquity of IEEE 802.1 for local-area networking in residential and small office environments, it's really hard for me to see how there is a need for residential users to have routed networks when / 64 prefixes are almost too cheap to meter (and will continue to be until kakistocracy emerges as the dominant form of Internet governance).

I don't see why residential users should even need ULA, much centrally assigned ULA. Is there a thread on one of those ops list someone could refer me to read from the archives so I can come up to speed on the reasons the operations community thinks otherwise?

--
james woodyatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
member of technical staff, communications engineering