presuming this course of action is taken, it raises a much larger
issue consisting of the IETF creating "property rights" in the
address space arena.  To date, (AFAIK)  most legal arguments have
taken the line that IP addresses are NOT property, come from a
common resource that the RIR's administer for the good of the
community.   ULA-C  carves out a bit of IP space and in the absence
of RIR oversight, creates "property"... creating an ambigious
set of legal issues which will be fought for years.

I -REALLY- am uncomfortable w/ the IETF, in a mothballed WG,
creating this nightmare for the operational community.

--bill

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:14:04AM +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I trust that the new version will include the proposal
> for a fully robotic solution for creating and escrowing
> guaranteed-unique ULAs. That's the only missing property in
> existing ULAs, and we should certainly consider a purely
> robotic solution with no need for registry action or registry
> policy of any kind.
>
>     Brian
>
> On 2007-06-07 21:26, Brian Haberman wrote:
> >All,
> >     There has been recent activity in the Registry Community looking at
> >policies utilizing the Centrally Assigned ULA specification that has
> >expired.  Several people with ties to both the IETF and the RIRs have
> >been working with the authors to revise the specification in order to
> >meet the needs of the policy proposals in the RIRs.
> >
> >     Given that the previous work on Centrally Assigned ULAs was adopted
> >as an IPv6 WG document, the chairs feel that this upcoming revision
> >should be considered a continuation of that work.
> >
> >     The chairs highly encourage people interested in this work to
> >review and comment on the upcoming revision when it is published.
> >
> >     As a note, Bob will be the responsible editor for this document and
> >Brian will be the shepherding WG chair.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Brian and Bob

--bill