Le 20/02/2013 01:01, Hesham Soliman a écrit :

=> Someone, somewhere (perhaps the IAB) needs to write an
architectural document to tell various industries to _stop_ doing
that. The IID is a set of bits that have no meaning, please stop
trying to create it in an industry/link layer technology-specific
manner. It does do anything and it's meaningless.

I think you're too strong with statements.  Many IPv-over-foo documents
exist and they do just that - create IID in a industry-specific manner.

=> My opinion covers those cases too. It's a broken concept. I think an
RNG is find as a generic method. We don't need to do some magic to create
an IID for each case.

HEsham, sorry for late reply.

So, RNG is a Random Number Generator.

You seem to oppose the generation of an IID out of a VIN.

But what would there be contradiction in generating a ULA prefix (not the IID) out of an RNG and maybe some VIN seeding for more uniqueness?

E.g. FD79:0D81:183C:D1A0::/59 generated out of VIN VF2R97K9XN87R9869.

The need comes from further, and it may look simpler: we need to form
IPv6 addresses within a vehicle.

=> Use an RNG to create the 64 bits then run DAD, it's pretty straight
forward.

Sure, privacy extensions, I know that.

Alex

Hesham

There are a number of solutions to realize it, but each has its
advantages and inconvenients.  Forming it from VIN has some advantages.

We can discuss this.

Alex

Hesham

--