In the end i am more disappointed in Google than Oracle. I know I got a good
deal and lot of gifts from Sun and I did not help contribute my bit to keep
their guardianship of Java going by sponsoring or contributing back to their
business. I suppose I am one of the many millions of "parasites" who is now
complaining because some worry the "free" ride may be over. If Google really
loved Open Source why didnt they do the benevolent thing and just buy and
sponsor Java development into the future, when they had the opportunity.
Truth be told they tried to be smart playing legal with lots of laywers and
know its come back to bite them. They tried to be cheap and avoid
contributing back to the community by coughing up the one thing the
community or Sun really needed - the cash. Its not as if Google dont have
the money, they always seem to have money and millions of it to buy some
advertising related company, aka Double click. Too me I think of my parents,
im never going to make money buy helping them out as they get older, nor is
it ever a business opportunity, but after all they have given me its only
the honourable thing to help them when they need anything or something. In
the end Oracle bought Sun for Java because they believed in its value. Given
they have a different style of business, change and fear of the unknown is
always a worry or concern, for everyone. Time will tell.