Kate said:
"...I also believe that the money is always there for whatever is considered a
priority."
That has pretty much been the bottom line.  Money.  If all of our systems
(technology, economics, etc.) were more efficient then money could not be
made. It's pretty pathetic.  I saw a report on the evening news about the
new hybrid cars (gas/electric).  I can't remember exactly but the gist of
the report was that the big car companies do not think the hybrid cars will
take with the public and they seem very reluctant to make these cars (I
understand Honda makes one).  By just saying that on the news influences
the public.
Kate is right.  The science is there to support alternative energy.
Every time I hit a pothole with my car I think, "Shit!  I know there are
better materials to make roads.!"  With all the technology and being a
chemist .... well, it just baffles me.

my ol' 2 cents
Heather