I said: But supporting a Taliban-like culture that
opresses women?

Colin said:  It aleady does now and it did in the past.
as the UK does and did. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait to name
just 2.

I don't disagree that we're supporting regimes that I
consider oppressive. But I was actually talking
hypothetically. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I meant
that if we sent teachers to countries where oppression
occurs, we would not support that kind of behavior in
the teachings. Ideally, we'd teach enough about
"liberty and justice for all" to kindle interest in the
students. Some may actually find this idea more
distasteful than simply supporting oppressive
governments. We'd be seeding revolution in places where
some might think we have no business. Idealistically,
we should leave well enough alone. But we export
movies, tv, etc., which is pretty haphazard at best,
and destructive. Why not balance that with a purposeful
plan? Why not share the best we have to offer, and not
just what sells?

> No they are not bad ideals but they are not acted
upon by your Govt when abroad nor ours.

Agreed. The U.S. has certainly done things that were at
best stupid and at worst unjust and cruel. Actually,
I'd ammend it to say "they are not acted upon often
enough by..." The US and UK are not all good and not
all bad either.

Hope this makes things clearer.

lots of love
Anne