Bree Mcdonough wrote:

> Americans plain and simple love their fast cars and big SUVs.

Because they are agressively marketed to them

> These
> electric cars that only go 50mph are not feasible and are ugly to boot.  And
> believe me, if I had children I would have a SUV because they are safe.

Not that safe. Although you have all that steel and ballast, because
SUV's are so high off the ground, they are pretty easy to roll if you
turn sharply at high speed-for instance, avoiding road debris.
You would be better off with something like a Volvo, which has
a strong steel framework built around the passenger compartment.
On electric & hybrid cars:
Electric cars, besides being slow and having a limited travel range
between charges, are not really that ecological. It takes copious
amounts of electricity to power them. Electric rates have soared-
and most US electric power is made in oil-fired plants (nuclear is next),
so they are still using oil. And anytime you convert one type of
energy to another, you waste power, since no conversion process
is anywhere near 100% efficient.  Charging an electric car with
solar power would require a larger investment in solar panels
than the car cost you, or nearly so, and is only do-able in certain
climates or during certain times of the year.(Although, in California, they
will actually pay for part of the solar installation, and you can sell
your extra power back to the utility, theoretically breaking even in
10 years or so.) The other problem with electric cars is that they
run on heavy lead-acid batteries that have a limited lifespan before
they need to be scrapped and replaced. I think electric cars are
being sold to us by the oil industry, and are not a viable solution
to anything! The major car manufacturers all have models on the
drawing boards-some are available now.
Much more promising is hydrogen and fuel cell technologies. Hydrogen
technology has made great advances, and needs to be develped. It
burns completely pollution-free. And you don't really hear about it.
Also, bio-diesel, which, like Henry Ford's first car, actually runs on
modified vegetable oil, with very low emissions. Hemp oil would
work great, or some other legal plant source. Some cities are running
their bus fleets on bio-diesel now.

Kakki wrote:
For years the people who have certain
technology, such as for home solar generators, have charged an enormous
amount for installation and maintenance of the units.  Either the conversion
technology/engineering has to become a lot more cost effective or some
financial geniuses need to figure a better way to fund it.  Nonetheless,
I've heard many in the federal government and the Bush administration
advocating moving forward towards alternatives.

I guess I missed that announcement. I recall the Bush administration
saying early on that oil and nukes were the way to go.
But, having lived with alternative power for over 20 years, and having
designed and installed many alternative power setups (mostly solar
or solar/generator assisted), I disagree that "installation and maintenance"
are the chief financial hurdles. The hardware itself is really the problem.
Solar panels are very expensive, and generate power in small amounts,
compared to what we are used to. We are energy junkies, and we are
used to oil, which is an extremely cheap source of energy (unless you factor
in the costs of the war machine that keeps it flowing). Try pushing
your car the amount of miles that $2 worth of gas will take it and you
will get an idea of how much power there is in petrol. A small gas
generator can generate more power in a couple of hours than a
moderate sized solar system can generate in a week. That said, if
the government was not in the pockets of the conventional energy
sector, and was willing to invest the money to do it, they could
bring these prices way down. So far, budgets for alternative energy
have been miniscule, regardless of political lip service about developing
alternatives to oil and nukes.  Again, hydrogen, fuel cells, wind
power, tidal generators, etc could all be used to wean ourselves off
of oil. But one of the biggest problems is that we are used to cheap
oil. When you run off of alternative power, you have to count every
watt. Leaving on a light is like leaving the faucet on. Electric heating
is simply not feasable.
I just read an article in the SF Chronicle about Holland. They are way
into wind power and other alternative technologies, and the by-products
from one factory go into some other factory to be recycled. It has
created lots of jobs, and they have already met the goals of the Kyoto
protocol ahead of schedule (which the US shamefully did not sign because
of the impact it would have on "business").
We should be using some of that $1 billion dollars per day we are pouring
into the military establishment for alternative energy, health care for
all, etc. The investment in would be well worth the money.
RR