--- Lucy Hone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
> Grief is a very personal experience. You cannot
> "see" what grief is like
> on a film. My closest grief experience was on the
> death of my mother in
> May 2000. her death was unexpected as she was
> carried away by some
> unexpected recurrence of a medical problem (not
> cancer) and she died.....
> she just died...

Oh my goodness, can I ever relate to this. Grief is so
individual and so dependent on what else has gone on
before and what's happening in the here and now.
Sometimes it's overwhelmingly sad, other times it's
happy in a bittersweet way. Either way, you probably
want to cry. When someone, out of the blue, mentions
something about the person you've lost, as your
daughter's teacher did to you (without knowing the
relationship), that's like a gift of grace, isn't it.
It's almost like the one who's gone has sent you a
message of hope. I lost my Mum about six (or is it 8)
years ago, and my Dad almost three years to this day.
Mum died of cancer and was ill for a long,long time;
Dad died of a massive coronary without any warning -
one minute alive and talking, the next minute down on
the floor breathing out one last breath, with no
apparent pain. Sometimes I remember little things, or
I'm looking at old pictures of them and I don't know
whether to be happy or sad, or just plain scared about
being the older generation and possibly failing at it.

=====
Catherine
Toronto