I just wanted to second these remarks. JSP is all about separation of
programming logic from presentation. The ability to use one syntax for
programming (i.e., Java) and another syntax for presentation (i.e., HTML
and HTML-like tags) makes this separation very clear and maintainable.

I don't think anyone is saying scriptlets aren't powerful and don't have
their place. But being able to avoid them in the vast majority of your
pages (and I'm speaking from experience here) is a major win for
cross-functional web development teams.

- Mark