Yes, yes, yes!  I wouldn't do without mine when working with fine thread.  I
actually have three of them, two different styles.  They pin on the pillow
(takes a little room) and have an adjustable/bendable neck to position the
glass where you want it.  I find that using the mirror makes the threads look
like average sized thread instead of fine thread.  I forget that I'm using such
tiny thread.

Try to have your light coming slightly from the side.  A light fixture just
overhead might reflect in the glass.  Some hotel conference rooms have been a
challenge to position my pillow so I didn't get reflections.

My first magnifier had a very heavy metal base with a few pinholes to fasten it
to the pillow.  Once, when traveling, I didn't want the weight so had DH cut a
sturdy plastic base with many pinholes. The base was screwed into the neck so
the bases were easy to switch.  The lightweight one took many more pins to
support.  I don't think the newer ones come apart as easily.

At lace conference one year, I saw the newer version and bought one.  Then I
won another one in a drawing. <G>  Now I can put one with a project and leave
it there, instead of switching it from pillow to pillow.

One caution.....Always cover the mirror when not in use. If sunlight shines
through it, it can start a fire.  You don't want a burned hole in the middle of
your lace.

Alice in Oregon -- where temporarily we have sunshine