Ilse, you have hit upon one of the most vexing issues about making lace! I am certain that the answer depends on what kind of pillow you are using, and how it is used. And, what works for one person may not work for another! (Consider, for example, how much closer a thin person could sit to her pillow that a person who carries more weight around her middle!).

I have talked to a professional Physical Therapist about this. Her specialty is helping people with occupational injuries. She explained to me that my posture at the pillow was critical, that I should lean forward from the hip, not bending my back. This is easier said than done, in actual practice, and she recognizes this. She also said it is important to have your seat at a height where your knees are slightly higher than your hips (footstools can make this happen), and that our forearms should be horizontal as we do our work (not reaching up or down). Essentially, the things that make us more comfortable working at our computers should be applied to our lace work.

One of the most important things is to set a timer, and to get up at regular intervals (an hour at the latest) and move around, stretching and relaxing muscles that have been used. She also recommends doing strengthening exercises on the back so that over time, it becomes stronger and able to withstand the stress we put on it when we make lace for long periods of time.

The most helpful thing I have done (and I'm not kidding here...) is that I got a puppy. My DD gave it to me for Mother's Day, and while I was not sure about this new family member, I am very fond of him and find that he reminds me on a regular basis that it is time to get up and move around!

Several friends have an excellent plan... they listen to music while they work, and use the old-fashioned CD player... With this, they are forced to get up at the end of each CD to change it. This would not work for me, as I like perfect silence better, and the lack of music would be welcome. So a timer is better for me - or a puppy!

Good luck solving this issue! It is not something to be ignored, and you may have to try numerous things before you find solutions that work for you.

Clay



On 8/14/2011 4:52 AM, Ilse Depaepe wrote:
Dear lacers,

I need some advise on how to sit and where to make lace.

I keep having problems with my back and/or neck.  I first sat in my settee
with pillows in my back.  Now I'm on a chair.

What is the best place to sit?  Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Happy lacemaking!

Ilse D.

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003


-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003

Reply via email to