 -----Mensaje original-----
De:     "Jeff Newmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Enviado el: Friday, September 28, 2001 16:45
Para:   "David B. Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: "David McBride" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "LEAF list (E-mail)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Asunto: Re: [Leaf-user] Floppys

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, David B. Cook wrote:

> I have found the same thing. In fact, I have yet to deply my
> EigerSteinBeta2 for exactly that reason. I seem to quite frequently get
> floppy errors and I'm not comfortable on its stability. Is the problem the
> format, the physical drives or what? I was beginning to think I was doing
> something stupid.

I mentioned two possible mistakes below, and one environmental effect.

There is one other effect you may be missing, depending how you are
generating your floppies: formatting.  You must insure that the extra
space on the 1680K disk gets formatted before you write an image to it, or
that portion of the disk won't work reliably.

Most LRPers seem to regard the write protectability of floppies as a
necessity, and learn to keep regular backups. I gave up and went flash,
because restoring the backup became a hassle when the floppies died every
few months due to dust.

> Maybe I should just accept the fact and move to an a:/b: floppy?

In my case, this would not help.  I have not found an appreciable
difference between 1680K reliability and 1440K reliability.