Hi!

-----Original Message-----

too many steps envolved for the average >n00b. Consider for a moment, a
prospective user: one must first decide which packages to
>use:
>
>dropbear/openssh? ipsec/openvpn? dhcpcd/dnsmasq? shorwall.lrp/iptables.lrp
(confusing for those who don't [yet]
>know shorewall is a highlevel frontend to iptablets)

I consider LEAF a professional grade router/firewall solution, not for the
average Joe User.
If all this is scary, use an hardware router, disable all logging on it (to
avoid crashes) and you will be mostly fine. I have been looking at some of
them lately and the quality of those products has improved a lot!

>Once this is determined, one has to shuffle disks and type all those
"strange/foreign" unix commands (4.3. Create >a bootable HD). Run syslinux,
copy/modify syslinux.cfg and leaf.cfg. One simple typo and the system won't
boot.
>Where to seek help; the leaf mailing list? I doubt it. This is too
intimidating already.

This mailing list is not intimidating, judging from the amount of docs we
have, we should expect that people would read them. Sometimes not even
README is read...

>Anyhow, I guess what I'm really suggesting is to have a standard
>(8-12MB?) CF/HD image with the package-equivalent of say a snapgear or
m0n0wall. Enough to boot a feature rich
>leaf distro. -cpu

Not practical to do.
Even if you have a CF/HD image, most users will not be able to do anything
with it. Their problem is with Linux in general, not LEAF in particular.
I remember back in the LRP days, the complains we had about the
'idiot-images', they never seem to manage to make the users happy...

The only thing I could possibly agree with you is the documentation, it is
way too technical for most users BUT, the answers are all there.

Again, if this does seem way too complex, buy an hardware router.

Luis Correia
Bering uClibc Team Member

PGP Fingerprint: BC44 D7DA 5A17 F92A CA21 9ABE DFF0 3540 2322 21F6
Key Server: http://pgp.mit.edu