Wynther wrote:
>Just as one shouldn't try to paint the Mona Lisa with a chain saw, neither
should one try to sculpt a David with a paint brush.

Gee, that's what a lot of people said, back in the technological dark ages,
when rumors began about a preposterous idea of a relational database
narratives <g>

So, lots of relational databases now produce narrative. It's just narrative
that makes most people groan and few people want to read it.

If the big thinkers of two decades ago figured out a way to make a
relational database produce "written text," I have all the confidence in the
world that they're smart enough to eventually make that "good prose"
possible.

As for size, well, my first computer had 64 K of memory and wrote very
little more than that on a 8" floppy. Today, we can hold a few gigabites on
a thumb drive. That gives me a lot of optimism that our brilliant software
developers can figure out a way to handle the "word processing" size problem
also.

>Perhaps what is really needed is a third party full bodied, fully
customizable, user friendly report generator

That could be feasible--provided it lets the polished genie go back in the
bottle, so we don't have to spend days and days reediting, shuffling data
around, and otherwise generating what's needed every time a new copy of a
descendant narrative is printed or sent to someone from an ongoing database.

Optimistically,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG

*** Holiday discounts on Legacy 7.0, add-ons, books, and more. Visit
http://tinyurl.com/65rpbt. ***