Elizabeth,

I agree entirely with your post, and of course, already use full names in
subsequent citations where surnames are the same. :-)

Just one thing about the letter template in Legacy.  It assumes that the
'holder' of the letter is the recipient, which of course need not
necessarily be the case - but then I suppose one should use the 'historical'
letter template.  The default also refers to the holder of the letter by
surname only, even in the initial 'Footnote/Endnote Citation'.

I have not had need to use the 'historical letter' template, but thought I
would just have a look (half way through writing this email).  Guess what!
For subsequent citations it displays full names as the default!  Obviously a
case of "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."  Happy
days!  :-)  :-)

Elizabeth wrote:
> It all goes back to what I wrote in an earlier post, quoting from EE 2.1
about citation being an art, not a science. Good artists learn the
principles of art--form, texture, shape, color, etc.--then adapt those
principles as needed to capture the essence of whatever they want to paint.

Just a little issue here, about the analogy - sometimes it is what *they*
want to paint rather than how it will necessarily impact on their audience.
(So the citation may be the result of the adaptation of all those good
principles, and is clear to the writer but not necessarily clear to other
people.) An artist will produce a work of art based upon the principles of
his trade, yes, but the resultant work will have a different impact on every
person viewing (or listening to) that work.  The music of John Cage, no
doubt was composed with the principles of the art, but is not necessarily
understood or appreciated by many people.  And then, there's Mozart, who was
quite blatant (I paraphrase, for fear of offence to some - when talking
about a series of certain pieces of music he had composed): I cannot say it
will be popular, but don't really care much one way or the other.  To quote
a well known, but old song, "I did it my way"!  Fortunately, for all our
sakes, most artists aim to please, which is what Elizabeth is getting at
here.

Anyway, I will need to unsubscribe later on today, or tomorrow at the
latest, until about the second week in Jan. so I can concentrate on imposing
my artistic interpretations of Christmas music on my unsuspecting audiences.

Have a good Christmas everyone - hope to be back reading all those posts in
January (Oh No! - I can hear you say).

With very best wishes

David

David S Brookes
Musical Director, The Brewood Singers
        www.brewoodsingers.co.uk
Organist & Choirmaster, Polesworth Abbey
        www.polesworthabbey.co.uk