At 07:35 AM 9/1/2009, you wrote:
Yes, I have had *part* of this problem. I didn't have the Locations problem, but I was unable to cleanly uninstall Legacy because of that install.log problem.

I was afraid to delete all the files and folders as some have suggested. I ended up re-installing a new Legacy pgm from the website and all appears OK except for my original problems relating to Vista. (which don't pertain to this thread)

Well, I've un and re and un and re installed several times now. There is no INSTALL.LOG.file that I can find in C:\\Legacy, and using the search function, I'm told that that's not a valid file/folder. (Which is consistent with the message that the program can't be uninstalled because Windows can't find the INSTALL.LOG.file.) Everything I try with the program in the meantime, in terms of setting preferences, index columns and all that, comes undone the next time I boot up,if not the next time I start the program. So I'm going to have to call Legacy and talk with them in person. I'm afraid to do anything with my data until this post-crash unintelligibility is fixed.

BTW, many of the online tech help instructions are way out of date. Some refer to reinstalling, for instance, Legacy 5 or on another page Legacy 6, and there are various other obviously not-looked-at-for-a-time instructions as well. For instance, at one point they say to run ScanDisk, and I remember that functionality. But I couldn't find any reference to it on my XP edition. Using Windows Help, I learn that ScanDisk no longer functions, but there is ChkDsk instead. Those instructions were sufficiently complicated that I didn't want to touch that process. Especially since there's no assurance at all that that would do any more good than anything else I've tried.

I thought there was someone from Legacy monitoring this list who would step in with suggestions or talk with me off list about it, but that hasn't happened, so maybe that doesn't exist, either. So it looks like all I can do is call them, and they say they'll call me back the next day or two. Great -- thanks, folks. I love the program, but the tech support doesn't make the grade, and I'm a bit disgusted about the whole thing.

Mary Jo Harper
mjohar...@comcast.net
Legacy Deluxe
Version 7.0.0.107