I want to just say out front what my opinion of the LiveCD is before I
respond to individual points. The most important task of the livecd is
to provide a host with a known working kernel and toolchain to allow
people to build *LFS. Next, it should provide tools that allow the
*LFS support channels to be reached. Everything else is a bonus and
should not determine whether a livecd release is made. IMO.

On 6/11/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wrote:
> > 1) Unclear status of wireless network support. The CD doesn't contain
> > wpa-supplicant and doesn't have firmware for most wireless network cards
> > (even though we qualify as ISV and thus can redistribute ipwXXXX firmware).
> > However, I can't test this because I don't have a wireless card.

I'd say don't bother. We don't even have a working wireless setup in
BLFS. I don't think it's asking people too much to plug in an ethernet
cable if they want to use the livecd. This would be a great feature,
but it shouldn't stop a release from being made.

> > 2) Incorrect contents of /etc/issue with the "toram" boot option. The
> > sources are intentionally not copied to RAM (so that one can use "toram" on
> > a 512M box), but the message still says they are available in /lfs-sources.
> > Since it is easy to add generation of the no-sources ISO, we may want to
> > cover this case, too.

"If you're using the toram option, you must remount the CD to use the
package tarballs in /lfs-sources."

I don't know if that's all that's correct. I didn't investigate when I
was using toram yesterday.

> > 3) Undocumented initramfs boot options. Maybe we should document things like
> > "noapic pci=noacpi", too.

That'd be nice. Is it possible to add more documentation pages to
isolinux? We could add options2.msg and add "F2 options2.msg" to
isolinux.cfg, right?

> > 4) It is necessary to add back the reiser4 and loop-aes kernel patches once
> > the kernel version in LFS stabilizes.

I suppose. I don't consider that high priority at all. If you're
depending on functionality that's not in the mainline kernel, then
it's a huge bonus if anyone supports you out of the box.

> > 5) I have updated the packages "blindly" too frequently. Many of them are
> > simply untested. Someone should go through _all_ of them and attempt to make
> > sure that the basic functionality is there.

Well, LFS-6.3 will put a test to that. It's not a problem if bugs are
found and a -2 release needs to be made. It seemed to work fine for
me, although I didn't do too much. Like I said above, the main two
tasks for me are the toolchain and the support tools. I hope the
toolchain is fine or LFS is in trouble, too. I played with seamonkey
and pidgin briefly. My network was setup fine out of the box, and I
was able to jump right onto the internet and irc. So, from my end, it
was working fine.

The only package I saw that I thought was borderline was
xf86-video-intel-2.0.0. You and I both read the xorg mailing list and
know that it's not stable yet. If you're curious, the G965 is
supported just fine in xf86-video-i180-1.7.4. I've been using it for
months. It doesn't have all the fancy functionality of intel-2.0.0
(but neither does the livecd since it's using libXrandr-1.1.2), but
it's working fine. What was the reason for updating to 2.0.0?

> 6) In Japanese locales, fontconfig chooses the wrong default font (AR PL New
> Sung, while it should use Kochi fonts)

Is there any way to change this in fonts.conf? It looks like you're
adding configuration for firefly, but not for kochi.

--
Dan