On 17 May 2002, Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2002, "Nadav Har'El" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > * mutt
> >
> > Works well with Hebrew if you use an appropriate editor (such as vim)
> > and a viewer (such as bidiv).
> > Note that editing Hebrew with Vim is a bit different than using a bidi
> > editor, since you have to manually switch direction yourself (usually with
> > a single key) while editing.
>
> So, basically, what you're saying is that one has to switch editor
> and a pager (the later not provided by my operating system, Debian
> Sid, and the former one which I stopped using a long time ago after
> the undo editing annoyedme) to have the pleasure of viewing/edting
> Hebrew. Yeah, that makes sense.

What pager and editor do you use, then?

In what environment do you normally work? (X/remote shell/console? x: what
desktop? remote shell: what termianl?)

> > Heck, with Pine there's the same problem/solution: the visual-order Hebrew
> > pine should not be used because the standard it considers Hebrew never
> > caught on. You should only write in logical-order Hebrew, iso-8859-8-i or
> > utf8.
>
> Pine is irrelevant, as it is not free software. People using non-free
> software should not expect to be coddled here.
>
> > > * nvi -- not supporting
> >
> > So use vim...
>
> No, I want to use nvi. I switched. I see no reason to switch back.
>
> > > * nano -- not supporting
> > > * joe -- not supporting
> > > * jed -- not supporting)
> >
> > Do you really *have* to use those to edit Hebrew emails?
>
> "Have"? No, I can also type the bits directly into the CPU, I guess.
> Some people do use these editors.
>
> > > If you do use Hebrew, which encoding would you use? Win-1255? ISO-8859-8?
> > > UTF-8?
> >
> >It doesn't matter, all utilities should be able to handle both standard
> > encodings (Win-1255 isn't a standard; don't use it).

win1255 is standard. See, e.g. HTML 4.0

> So we won't be able to read people who send Hebrew e-mail from MS Outlook.
> *That* will make the instructions of which language to use crystal
> clear, won't it?
>
> > How about creating a Hebrew mailing list in addition to this one, and
> > see how it picks up?
>
> Go ahead. Me, I think if you really wanted to make Hebrew you could
> supply patches for all programs supported above. Until all software
> will support bidi natively (and yes, bash has to do that for
> pms/mh users) then Hebrew e-mail will still remain a non-option
> in GNU.

For me pine/mutt+bidiv/vim/biditext-xterm works well enough. Maybe you'll
be able to use it without patching nvi (if it has proper locale support to
allow yu to type Hebrew into it)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]