On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:51:20 -0700 Myles Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I've been getting the same problem as Collins myself (on Slackware
> > > 9.1). Being too lazy to build it myself, I've been using the pre-built
> > > version with xft enabled. I just attributed it to that fact. Did you
> > > build your own by any chance?
> > >
> > > HAND
> > >
> > > Myles
> >
> > Nope...  just downloaded the tarball..   Running it on both SuSE 9.0  and
> > 8.2
>
> Hmmm... then it must be something else that Collins and I have in common.
>

> My hardware:
>     Athlon 1800+
>     1.5GB PC2700 DDR RAM (Samsung)
>     nVidia Geforce2 MX 400 (using nvidia drivers)
>     PS/2 keyboard
>     USB wheel mouse (Logitech) using IMPS/2 protocol
>
> I've run Memtest86 on the RAM, one stick at a time and all three at once,
> with no errors - even after 48 hours. FWIW, I'm not running a 2.6 kernel yet.
>
> My symptoms are that X keeps crashing with no errors showing in the logs. It's
> gotten so bad I gave up using X several days ago and gone back to the basics
> as my signature suggests.

My hardware is similar but PC133 ram, only PS/2 stuff, no USB at present, using
the nvidia 4496 drivers, Kernel 2.6.test8.

The kernel frequently logs some non-critical errors generated by the
nvidia crap, but X never dies, nor do any apps fail for the most part.

When I say "poof," I should be more specific - maybe 3 times in 3 months.  The
failures are random - once after a download completed; the other times
retreiving a new page with several tabs open.  I'm using a binary installed via
a standard gentoo package.

Other than this I can give Firebird 0.7 a clean bill of health, well almost.  I
do encounter the occasional url with a webpage that doesn't format very
well, but that's probably due to some ie6-specific stuff in the page.

In your case, Myles, I would suspect nvidia drivers, USB mouse, combination of
all of the above with acpi, or ???, probably nothing to do with Firebird.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the