On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:08:00PM -0500, Net Llama! wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Myles Green wrote:
> > My hardware:
> >     Athlon 1800+
> >     1.5GB PC2700 DDR RAM (Samsung)
> >     nVidia Geforce2 MX 400 (using nvidia drivers)
> >     PS/2 keyboard
> >     USB wheel mouse (Logitech) using IMPS/2 protocol
> >
> > I've run Memtest86 on the RAM, one stick at a time and all three at once,
> > with no errors - even after 48 hours. FWIW, I'm not running a 2.6 kernel yet.
> >
> > My symptoms are that X keeps crashing with no errors showing in the logs. It's
> > gotten so bad I gave up using X several days ago and gone back to the basics
> > as my signature suggests.
>
> What version of X?  Define 'crashing'.  Are we talking about locking up
> the box so that you can't even ping it, or just X going toes up?

XFree86-4.3.0, no lock-ups just toes up.

> You might want to try running CTCS (search freshmeat) on the box.  It
> stresses (and tests) all the hardware far better than memtest86.  Have you
> verified that this isn't an overheating problem, or dust bunnies?

No dust bunnies but this is one of the warmest houses I've seen in a while, it
faces south and gets the sun all day long. (great for house plants, not so for
'puters). See my reply to Collins for a bit more detail on the heat. Right now,
the CPU is 50.5 C and the mobo is 29 C with a ~20 C ambient temp in this room.
I'd crank down the thermostat but then I'd catch it from the other occupants.
I move out the end of this month into a much cooler environment... too late for
the vid card in this box. Much too late for the box that was running the sxs
mirror unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip (CTCS), I'll have to give it a go.

Myles

--
Myles Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Calgary, AB, Canada eh?
Slackware-9.1 + CLI + Mutt-1.4.1i + Lynx|Links|eLinks