At 12:40 PM 7/16/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Patrick Greenwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> If ICANN were a community-based organization as was envisioned, instead of
>> the monstrosity it has become, it would be reasonable to ask the community
>> for assistance in gather resources to hold elections.
>
>But when the community does cough up money (e.g. the GIP), ICANN is accused
>of capture.

Don't worry, the GIP seems to unserstand it came too close to the
event horizon and is backing away from the ICANN black hole:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9907/16/icannt.idg/

                  PSINet initially supported ICANN with a donation of $10,000 but has
no
                  plans to give additional funds, according to Davin.

                  Davin says PSINet's support of ICANN was based on three principals:
an
                  open process for ICANN; a new era of competition for domain name
                  registration; and reduced involvement from governments. "We are
cautiously
                  optimistic with respect to ICANN," he says. "What you are hearing
now in
                  the Internet community is mixed reviews on these three goals."

This is PSI's "dns-event #3".

dns-event #2 was stating it could run it's
own root server to opt out of the ICANN regie

#1 was giving money to start this mess. It
doesn't appear they think they've got their
moneys worth. Where is all this support from
big business and industry  we were told
about ?

--
Richard Sexton  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone