On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:56:06PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Like many people's, my incoming mail is routed off into various folders
> by the MTA which I then read with mutt. The problem is that while mutt's
> mail folder handling is pretty darn good it's still a pain for it to
> scan the folders[1]. There are about a dozen I like to read throughout
> the day.

This is what I do too, but I agree that there is still a problem waiting
for a really good solution.

> How do people deal with this appalling modern dilemma? One hack I've
> considered is saving duplicates of my interesting folders into one
> folder which I set to threaded display & read as a stream as it comes

I tried this ...

> in. This leaves the hassle of having lots of other folders with unread
> messages (so perhaps a script that marks those as read based on
> message-id's -- anyone seen/done this?). Anyone played with/heard

... but for me the problems outweighed he benefits.

> about putting mail itself in RDBMS? That way you could create virtual
> folders etc.

I've heard talk of this, but never seen a good implementation.

> While I'm on this subject, how do people deal with searching email?
> Archival management? (And how that impacts searching?) I will write up a
> Web page on all this seeded on whatever comes out of this, if there
> isn't one already.

I have a script that I occasionally run which turns london.pm into
london.pm.20011002.bz2 for example.  I use it on log files too.

My high tech archival searching goes something like

  bz2cat london.pm.20011002.bz2 | less
  /interesting_stuff
  nnnnnnn

or

  bz2cat london.pm.20011002.bz2 | gvim -

gives the syntax colouring.  Occasionally I'll just decompress the
file and load it into mutt, if I want to follow the thread for example.

No, it's not nice.

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net