On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 07:41:28AM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> Well my solution, is not that good, but it works for me, i simly use
> wmbiff, a little windowmaker docking bar app that lists the number of
> messages in each folder, unless there are new messages in which case
> it lists the number of new messages in a different colour.

That seems like a good partial solution. The problem is when you have
folders with tens of thousands of emails (London.pm is about to hit 20k
here). The disadvantage to chopping these massive folders up is
searching later[1].

This is what I use with exim:

$ alias mailwatch
alias mailwatch='tail -f /var/log/exim/mainlog | perl -lne '\''print "$2 $1 $3" if
m~(\d+:\d+).*([-=]>) (?:$ENV{HOME}/mail/)?(\S+)~'\''&'
$

This has the negative effect of making me aware of *every single
message* that arrives, and the concommitment compulsion to read it is
often too much to resist.

I was going to write this as an IE CDF Channel a few years ago but
realized CDF is crap, little more than (AFAICT) a web page with a user
configurable refresh. It isn't really true push (again, AFAICT).

> of alias london="mutt -f ~/mail/london.pm", etc. That I can
> call from a shell when i want to read a folder. If i am

That's great when you don't have thousands of messages in each one :)

Paul

[1] which prompts the [insert adjective] reaction of putting your entire
    mail collection at the mercy of google's spider and using
    site:searchs..