* Paul Johnson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:56:06PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > Like many people's, my incoming mail is routed off into various folders
> > by the MTA which I then read with mutt. The problem is that while mutt's
> > mail folder handling is pretty darn good it's still a pain for it to
> > scan the folders[1]. There are about a dozen I like to read throughout
> > the day.
>
> This is what I do too, but I agree that there is still a problem waiting
> for a really good solution.

Well my solution, is not that good, but it works for me, i simly use
wmbiff, a little windowmaker docking bar app that lists the number of
messages in each folder, unless there are new messages in which case
it lists the number of new messages in a different colour.

To be perfectly honest I use 3 instances of it, giving me a total
of 15 folders listed.

You can see it in action, in this old screen shot ...

        http://217.34.97.146/~gem/misc/screenshot_scully.jpg

Its the little grouping of three boxes in the middle of the
right hand edge. Then I have a pile of aliases along the lines
of alias london="mutt -f ~/mail/london.pm", etc. That I can
call from a shell when i want to read a folder. If i am
interested in several, i can do something like

        london ; void ; squackers

I tried for a while at getting festival to let me know
when particular people mailed me, such as my wife, accountant
etc. But I never really finished the larger project this
was part of ... Radio Greg (i mixing of mp3's and festival
generated infomercials), but thats another story.

> > about putting mail itself in RDBMS? That way you could create virtual
> > folders etc.
>
> I've heard talk of this, but never seen a good implementation.

I think if this sort of thing was ever implemented properly, I'd
want to use it for more than just mail, i.e. project files as well
etc.

I'm getting closer and closer to having a static organised
filesystem on my home network, when this happens i might look
at extending my TODO list to have a little pop up virtual
folder containing links to related files. A sort of half
way house towards the sort of system your talking about (albeit
for more than just mail)

Greg

--
Greg McCarroll                                 http://217.34.97.146/~gem/