On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:12:05AM -0700, Paul Makepeace said:
> That seems like a good partial solution. The problem is when you have
> folders with tens of thousands of emails (London.pm is about to hit 20k
> here). The disadvantage to chopping these massive folders up is
> searching later[1].

Every week, last week's mail goes into london.pm-YYYY-MM where appropriate.

To search through mails I just do

% grep 'search string' mail/london.pm*

or I can restrict it to year or month.

I could actually write a very simple app using Mail::MBox or whatever that
would actually allow me more powerful searching.

As for mutliple incoming folders there are couple of options ...

Do what Mr Clamp does which is label all incoming folders with something
unique ... say incoming_* and then have

mailboxes `echo +inbox  ~/mail/incoming_*`

in your muttrc

or do soemthing similar and just have

mailboxes `echo ~/mail/* | perl -ne 'print unless /^sent/'`

you can probably do that in sed which would be better but you get the idea

I did think about doing stuff using RDMBS, PerlFS and some hackery but haven't
got round to it. Doing that you could just pretend all your mails were in mbox
(or maildir) folders even though they were in a DB and all (good) maill apps
would work with it automagically :) Plsu you could do neat tricks with
archiving and stuff.

--
: nature notes for the apocalypse