Greg McCarroll wrote:

> * Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > An Introduction to Database Systems - Chris Date
>
> I haven't heard of this one, my "classic" general DB books are
> Fundamentals of Database Systems and Introduction to SQL (van der
> Lans)

C.J. Date was one of the original RDB guys (E.F. Codd was the original
visionary who came up with the concept). He had a hand in developing
Ingres.  Most (maybe all) of you have probably never used anything as
antiquated as a non-relational/non-OO database. They were well on their
way out when I first started programming, but I had to maintain some
Accounts Receivable data in an old-fashioned hierarchical DB in one of
my early jobs. Yuck. :)

I have Database System Concepts, by Korth & Silberschatz. It's pretty
good, but maybe not a classic.

Elements of Programming Style by Kernighan & Plauger was a book I
thought a lot of 20 years ago. It's pretty dated now, though. It's also
out of print.

I have gotten many times my money's worth from all my W. R. Stevens'
books. UNIX Network Programming is a true classic.  Tanenbaum's Computer
Networks also.