In lists.community.perlmongers.london, you wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 04:15:34PM -0400, Kirrily Robert wrote:
>
>> (where else can you read about the (mis-)design of common objects like
>> light switches and stovetops?)
>
>Do you mean the little diagrams telling you which ring you're turning
>on?  I always manage to get the left and right part correct, but I seem
>to muddle the front and back at least 75% of the time, even when I
>deliberately do the opposite, knowing that I'm normally wrong.
>
>Or do you mean something else, and this is just my personal mental
>block?

Exactly as you described.

Many stovetops are shaped like this:

  /~~~~\     /~~~~\
 |      |   |      |
  \____/     \____/

  /~~~~\     /~~~~\
 |      |   |      |
  \____/     \____/

Then you see a row of knobs next to it like this:

  /~~~~\     /~~~~\
 |      |   |      |   o
  \____/     \____/    o
  /~~~~\     /~~~~\    o
 |      |   |      |
  \____/     \____/

Which knobs relate to which burners?  Who knows.  You have to read the
labels to figure it out.

Here's a better solution, but one which is (alas) seldom seen:

  /~~~~\     /~~~~\
 |      |   |      |
  \____/     \____/
                      o o
  /~~~~\     /~~~~\   o o

Now imagine a whole book made up of examples like this, with analysis of
each one and a discussion of the theory behind it all.  Everything from
light switches to doorknobs to alarm clocks.

Wonderful stuff, as I said.

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://infotrope.net/
"I am most recovered given that i won't kill and eat them."