On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:56:31AM +0100, Lusercop wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 06:02:31PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > (So that we can experiment with finding alternative venues, as there are
> > reasons why some people think The Calthorpe Arms isn't perfect venue. It's
> > pretty good, but people can ways it might not be perfect)
>
> The perfect venue is not possible, because there are disagreements about
> what "perfect" means by everyone, and therefore you can't make it everyone's
> perfect venue (because for one person it won't be, at least), and so it
> isn't the perfect venue.

Agree

> Sod it for a game of soldiers, The Calthorpe Arms is fine. :-)

I agree it's fine.

However, it is a moderately long walk from the nearest underground station.
(it's managed to pick a sweet spot (a bitter spot?) moderately equidistant
from three underground stations, so it's certainly an above average
distance)

It is approaching one of the less nice parts of central London, sufficient
for one london.pm member's wife to insist that he doesn't go there.
That may sound trivial - in some ways it is - 1 person out of many,
subjective rather than objective. But it's also the first location (that
I've been aware of) where this has happened, and I admit that I don't find
it a particularly pleasant walk late at night down Gray's Inn Road.
(Unlike walking late at night along High Holborn, Kingsway, The Strand, or
any of the other wider, well lit and busier roads)

Nicholas Clark