I am a lutenist who does have a satisfactory guitar- a 7 string, steel-string instrument that at least gives a suggestion of Orpharion timbre and is flexible enough to be re-tuned to Bandora intervals. Wonderful change of tone color; only problem is that ET makes it sound "out of tune" to my re-educated ears.

Dan

I don't know what kind of guitars and guitar playing lutenists here have been exposed to here but there is a wide variety of types of guitars and playing styles. Hauser style guitar guitars are very good for playing some lute music. Smallman type guitars are less good for playing most lute music. To play lute music decently on guitar takes a certain touch...there are players that can do it. The guitar (unamplified) works great great in ensemble playing e.g Boulez: Le marteau sans maˆÆtre: Webern op.18,
Takemitsu: Ring for Lute,flute and guitar...
Best,
Mark Delpriora