ext Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2009, at 11:02, Henrik Hedberg wrote:
>

>> Martin Grimme wrote:
>>

>>> resetting Karma on a new version leads to one very bad issue, IMHO:
>>>
>>> Developers of packages with some Karma will hold back bugfix-updates
>>> until the unfixed version has reached extras.
>>>

> This is a real problem that will have to be addressed.

What need is a way to split bugfix changes and new major versions.

1) We must encourage developers to provide bug fixes often and be able
to deliver them quickly to endusers
2) New major versions still need QA testing - against regressions. Even
more than bugs endusers hate when things that used to work stopped working.

Now, I think it is impossible to automatically detect if a upload is
bugfix or "major" upgrade. Thus, we have to trust the developer to set
the major-/bugfix upgrade flag correctly somehere ( debian/changelog, a
menu item in the package promotion ui or whatever ).
The question then comes, can we trust the developers to do the right
thing and not abuse the "minor upgrade" to shove in any package with
shorter quarentee and less votes?