On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:14:16 -0700, Luke via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

>I did intend to send it to the whole list.
>
>"Spamspeak" makes it sound so clandestine. So Orwellian. Like there is some
>> subversive element on the list trying to turn the tides and normalize spam.
>> Sounds spooky. Sounds provocative. Let's run with this.
>> *Rolls eyes*
>

>But yes, I was poking fun at the use of the term spamspeak. The allusion to
>1984's newspeak or doublespeak is silly.

I have seldom been accused of being overly serious.

>If alluding to 1984 in the context of permission based email isn't a little
>funny to you, then I apologize for my remarks.

Personally, I consider every effort to quietly redefine elements of language
to suit a particular set of political, economic, or personal objectives to be
concerning, however "funny" they may appear at the onset.  (I leave out of the
discussion the fact that I once had a role in a stage production of "1984"
that made me more than slightly well-acquainted with that work.)

Rob's remarks were, to my knowledge, accurate and apposite.

mdr
--
       Those who can make you believe absurdities
       can make you commit atrocities.