On 8/23/2019 4:03 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:

But if you want some REAL "spamspeak" you wouldn't believe how often I've heard marketers recently talk about their "cold email campaigns" with no shame. I then did an informal survey to a couple of high-quality marketing discussion forums - to see what exactly THEY think "cold email campaign" means - here is what happened:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/invaluement_i-did-an-informal-poll-that-i-posted-on-two-activity-6570622686714712064-9IJH

Someone made fun of my comment above and said they "rolled their eyes" at it - in an email sent off-list to me, that I think they meant to send to the list. But I don't think they understood my point, due to possibly them not understanding the phrase "cold audiences"? (that is often used in modern day digital marketing)

The phrases "cold audiences" and "warm audiences" are absolutely 100% whitehat (and IMPORTANT!) marketing terms that refer to paid ads which are not spam. (just like paid TV commercials are not spam). These are terms that didn't become greatly known until the past several years, so many people outside of the marketing space are not familiar with these terms. Therefore, someone talking about their "cold email campaign" - is potentially trying to piggy back on the legitimacy of "cold audiences", except they're referring to mail-sending, not paid-ads. They're trying to ignore that distinction, and all that it implies, and make their spam-sending SEEM legit, since displaying paid ads to "cold audiences" is legit and not spamming. But that is NOT true for a "cold email campaign", even though they both share the word "cold". So that is why the phrase "cold email campaign" *is* an excellent example of "spamspeak".

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com