Once upon a time, Mike Hillyer <m...@mikehillyer.com> said:
> You get a doordash status message, you decide you don't need them, you
> unsubscribe. A couple of months later you need to reset your password and now
> you never get the reset link because you unsubscribed from transactional
> messages? Sure, we can get infinitely granular or always exempt password
> resets, but it becomes a slippery slope that results in a lot of engineering
> hours.

Not spamming people does sometimes require more work.  And I believe
this kind of stuff is exactly the definition of spam: UCE.  There is no
doubt that it is unsolicited, no doubt that it is commercial.  Why
should it get a pass?  "Because it's hard" is no more of an excuse for
this than any other type of spam.

So yeah, password resets and/or email resets could still go (although
still a "not me" link should at least signal somebody that "something is
wrong"), but everything else should follow at minimum an opt-out system,
if not opt-in.

--
Chris Adams <c...@cmadams.net>