Rat rit:

    > You make the assumption that the ATRAC ASIC in your R55
    > is doing math the
    > same way your PIII does math, which is not the case.  For
    > its one task, the
    > R55 is more powerful than your PIII.

Rick was not assuming, he was asserting, that the ASIC contains a DSP core
to execute the ATRAC algorithm. And I further assert (and I know because I
have done it) that an FFT is performed on a DSP in a similar (but not
identical) way to how it would be done on a Pentiuk. DSPs have special
custom instructions to multiply and add in one operation, parallel
instructions, zero overhead branching and RAM running at the CPU clock,
which make them faster than general purpose CPUs at the same clock rate, but
all these together don't amount to more than 5 times faster. My totally
unsubstantiated guess is the R55's clock will be ~45 MHz (based on reading a
number off a chip on an MZR35's circuit board).

simon