* "Magic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Tue, 07 Mar 2000
| A fair comparison would be to encode at the same bitrate as ATRAC. 128kbps
| is substantially less than ATRAC resulting in a heavier computatoinal
| requirement as more optimisations need to be made.

I would guestimate that the average desktop PC these days is comparable to
my 400MHz Pentium II at work (this was a top of the line sytem a year ago).
It cannot encode MP3 at 192Kbps or higher in real time.  Therefore it is
reasonably safe for me to say that the average desktop machine cannot
manage ATRAC, which requires more computing power than MP3 at "near CD
quality" bitrates, in real time, either.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged