[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]

First: DSP cores normaly use SRAM. Ie, static RAM. This RAM normaly runs on the
core speed. Writing and reading to this type of RAM can be done in one cycle.
This RAM doesn't need a refresh. SDRAM is a dynamic RAM that runs on the same
clock-base as the CPU. But it is also a dynamic RAM that needs to be refreshed.
The refresh takes time!

Second: Most DSP architecutures have a mechanism that split the memory into
three or more parts. A program memory, a data-input and a data-output memory.
This split garentees that you can fetch the next instruction with it's input
execute the current instruction and write the output of the previous instruction
in one cycle. (Ie do three things at the same time).
The x86 has one memory for all. Ie, if you fetch an instruction, you can't write
to the memory or read from another adres.

Third: It's the OS in a Pentium class machine that does the cache prediction.
YOU as a programmer can't influence it much. On a DSP, you have total control
over the cache (if needed).

There are many other reasons why the ATRAC DSP can do it operations more
efficiently than a Pentium CPU. Most of them relate to the fact that the Pentium
has to do a lot more other things!

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE