From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Yip, Chee Soon SHQ
Sent: 08 March 2000 00:26
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: MD: Sony's new Internet Audio Recording Interface

>       You're missing another point: I guess that if you send data at
>2X/3X/4X to the MD, it will have to spin faster while recording; that
>implies greater power consumptions, and higher accuracy, so modifications
>to the MD hardware must be done anyway, and a standalone device won't be
>very practical without a specific MD device that could handle this. And
>forget about having that in portables without prohibitively rising its
>price...

You are right.  Current generation of LSI can support ATRAC-ATRAC DUBBING/4X
REC.
During recording, the MD has to run a 2x CLV to maintain shock resistivity.
Much redesign
of hardware is needed.  Cost wise, a double CLV pickup cost about 10 times
the current
single speed CLV type.

cs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>